With modular synthesizers’ continued popularity growth, boutique companies continue to refresh one of the oldest synthesizer formats with doses of modern technology.
The small, new company 1010music’s personnel has experience taking established systems into new directions. For example, they helped transition Native Instruments popular desktop DJ software, Traktor Pro, to the iPad with Traktor DJ a 2013 Apple App of the Year. 1010music first surfaced recently with the Bitbox, a 24-bit recorder/sampler/clip launcher/looper Eurorack module ($599). It was the first Eurorack module of its kind with a capacitive touch screen.
Now 1010music is shipping its second Eurorack module, the Fxbox ($599), a touchscreen multieffects unit with 16 realtime performance effects, Clock and MIDI sync, and 24-bit/48kHz audio quality. Users control effect via an X/Y pad on the touchscreen, continuous knobs, connected external modulators, or the internal step sequencer. (See the video below for a better peek at one the screen really looks like.)
There are 50 included presets for spicing up synth sounds, adding rhythmic variety to repetivie beats, etc. You can also save/recall plenty of your own custom effects presets from the MicroSD slot.
1010music Fxbox Features:
• 16 great effects including Pitch shift, Distortion, Bitcrusher, Filter, Chorus, Phaser, Flanger, Ring Modulator,
Freeze, Loop, Reverse, Vinyl, Gate, Panner, Delay, Reverb
• 24-bit/48kHz stereo input/output with Reverb Wet Send (FX 1/2)
• MIDI for timing and effects triggering with Clock for synchronization
• Accepts TRS MIDI input compatible with Arturia and other products
• Save/Recall patches with microSD
• 26 HP Eurorack compatible. +12V: 350mA, -12V: 0mA, 5V: 0mA