Korg introduced its new flagship keyboard, the KRONOS Music Workstation. It unites nine distinct sound engines plus new supporting technologies to provide a versatile, yet fully integrated instrument.
The nine sound engines include:
- SGX-1 Premium Piano: VMT (Virtual Memory Technology) Piano sound engine
- EP-1 MDS Electric Piano: Multi-dimensional Synthesis Electric piano sound engine
- CX-3 Tonewheel Organ: Tonewheel organ-modeling sound engine
- HD-1 High Definition Synthesizer: Flagship PCM, sampling, and wave sequencing sound engine
- AL-1 Analog Synthesizer: High-fidelity analog modeling sound engine
- MS-20EX Legacy Analog Collection: Analog modeling sound engine
- PolysixEX Legacy Analog Collection: Analog modeling sound engine
- MOD-7 Waveshaping VPM Synthesizer: VPM, waveshaping, and PCM-processing sound engine
- STR-1 Plucked String Synthesizer: Physical modeling sound engine
New technologies added to support these engines include Korg's VMT (Virtual Memory Technology), allowing KRONOS to take advantage of huge piano, drum, and tape-based keyboard libraries. These long, unlooped samples play back directly from the internal SSD (solid-state drive), without needing to be loaded into RAM.
The front panel is highlighted by:
- An 8-inch color TouchView display
- A four-way joystick, ribbon controller, and two assignable switches, with an additional Vector joystick nearby
- Nine sliders, eight knobs, and a number of illuminated switches for real-time interaction
New performance features have been added. Smooth Sound Transition keeps held or sustained notes and their effects sounding when changing sounds or switching from Program to Combi mode (or vice versa). Set List mode allows all of the Programs, Combis, and Songs needed to get through a set to be organized into one convenient screen for instant selection. Text messages can even be added, reminding the player of key song lyrics, stage cues, etc.
KRONOS is available with 61, 73, or 88 keys. The 73- and 88-key models feature Korg's RH3 Graded Hammer Action. Including RH3 action on the 73 model is an often-requested feature, creating a lighter and more portable instrument that retains authentic piano feel. The 61-key model borrows the responsive synth action from the Korg M3-61.
Enhanced production features include a sequencer featuring 16 MIDI tracks and 16 audio tracks, along with KARMA phrase-generating technology, Drum Tracks, and RPPR to greatly speed up the creative process. The effects suite offers 12 insert effects, two master effects, and two total effects— and over 150 effect types to choose from.
Versatile inputs and outputs include analog, S/PDIF optical, and USB to provide MIDI/audio connectivity between KRONOS and a computer.
For more information, visit the KRONOS product page.