OBJECTIVE: For effects like flanging and tremolo, create low-frequency periodic automation waveforms.
BACKGROUND: Sonar has a tool for drawing envelopes, but you can also use it to draw LFO-type envelopes:
triangle, sawtooth, square, sine, and random. In this example, we’ll automate volume with a synchronized sine wave
to create a tremolo effect.
1. Right-click on the
Draw tool, and select
the desired waveform:
2. Right-click on the Event Draw
Duration button, and choose
the desired waveform period:
3. Choose Volume with the Edit Filter
so you can draw a volume envelope:
4. Click horizontally where you
want the waveform to start,
and vertically where you
want the waveform’s center
Then, drag up to set the
waveform’s peak range:
5. Drag left or right as far as you
want the shape to extend:
- Step 1: If the Tools HUD isn’t visible, type T.
- Step 1: The F9 function key cycles through the available waveform types.
- Step 2: You can choose certain periods with keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl+Shift+1 = whole note,
Ctrl+Shift+2 = half note, Ctrl+Shift+4 = quarter note, Ctrl+Shift+8 = eighth note, Ctrl+Shift+6 = 16th
note, Ctrl+Shift+3 = 32nd note.