Propellerhead Record: Record and edit automation lanes
OBJECTIVE: Create more expressive tracks by using automation to vary parameters in real time.
BACKGROUND: Record makes it easy to record and edit automation; each controller’s data goes into its own
“automation lane” within a track. Use Arrange mode for the following steps, as in many cases it’s the fastest way to
record tracks and automation—Edit mode is for more detailed editing.
1. Go Edit > Preferences, and in the Keyboards and
Control Surfaces page, confirm that your control
surface is enabled for use with Record.
2. In Arrange mode, make sure that the
Record Enable Parameter Automation
button is enabled (turns red).
3. Click on the transport Record button,
then move the control that
corresponds to the parameter you
want to automate.
4. Record creates an Automation lane,
where you can see the automation
data as it’s being recorded.
5. Double-click on the automation
lane to open it for editing. Click
on automation nodes and drag
6. To add nodes, click on the Pencil
tool and click where you want a
node. Remove nodes with the
· Step 2: If you’ve already recorded MIDI or audio data, disable the first lane’s record button to prevent
accidental recording. If you want to record MIDI or audio data along with controller data, leave the
first lane’s record button enabled.
· Step 5: To select multiple nodes, ctrl-click on them or use the Selection tool to draw a marquee around
the desired nodes. You can then move all selected nodes up, down, or sideways as a group.