You're Dead! Deluxe Released Digitally
1 Year After Its Original Release
Flying Lotus' Entire Warp Catalog on Sale at iTunes and Bleep
To celebrate the 1-year anniversary of the North American release of You're Dead!, the landmark album by Flying Lotus is released in new Deluxe Edition on digital and streaming from today.
As part of this, the You're Dead! instrumentals come to digital formats for the first time, having only previously been available in a highly limited vinyl boxset edition of the album. These versions bring focus to the genre-redefining arrangements - a modern fusion LP of this century that twists established notions of hip-hop, soul, jazz, electronics and bass into a brand new invigorating standard.
It has been quite a 12 months for the LA-based master-musician...
• Why? With Hannibal Buress - invited to be Buress' 'Resident DJ', six episodes (aired on Comedy Central)
• Apple Music - International outdoor and television advertising campaign
• Major festivals - Coachella (headline Mojave Stage), Glastonbury (headline West Holts Stage, w/ surprise guest George Clinton), Lollapalooza, Bonnaroo, Sonar, Governors Ball, Laneway and many more
• Grand Theft Auto V - extended 'FlyLo FM' for re-release of the game (one of only 2 expanded stations)
• FU********* - experimental short film directed by Eddie Alcazar, music by Flying Lotus, premiered at Sundance Next Fest 2015
• “The Birth of Captain Murphy” Short Animated Film - Lotus' alter ego Captain Murphy origin story (aired on Adult Swim)
Notable production and collaborations:
• WOKE - new recording project with Shabazz Palaces, Thundercat and featuring George Clinton
• Kendrick Lamar - Production “Wesley's Theory” opening song from the album “To Pimp A Butterfly”
• Thundercat - album production “The Beyond / Where the Giants Roam”
• Continuing projects with George Clinton, Herbie Hancock, Shabazz Palaces, WOKE and more we cannot name
Notable Awards and outstanding nominations:
• MTV VMAs 2015 - “Never Catch Me ft. Kendrick Lamar” Best Choreography (nominated)
• MTV VMAs 2015 - “Never Catch Me ft. Kendrick Lamar” Best Cinematography (winner)
• UK MVAs 2015 - “Never Catch Me ft. Kendrick Lamar” Best Alternative Video International (nominated)
• UK MVAs 2015 - “Coronus, the Terminator” Best Alternative Video International (nominated)
• UK MVAs 2015 - “Never Catch Me ft. Kendrick Lamar” Best Choreography (nominated)
• UK MVAs 2015 - Flying Lotus Best Artist (nominated)
• Association of Independent Music - “Never Catch Me ft. Kendrick Lamar” Video of The Year (winner)
Part of the fun following Flying Lotus is that you never know what's coming next. So while we all wait impatiently for his next moves, why not revisit the last time he changed the game.
“The album isn't about the end, it's really the beginning. It's a celebration of the next experience. It's the transition and the confusion.” Quite.
About You're Dead!:
You're Dead! is a shamanic pilgrimage into the psychedelic unknown of the infinite afterlife. A sonic, visual and metaphysical fusion of technological innovation and technical virtuosity that amounts to a transcendent, mind-expanding plasm that could only exist between our world and another.
The enduring universe of Lotus' supporting cast has expanded and evolved to feature in order of appearance, Herbie Hancock, Kendrick Lamar, Captain Murphy, Snoop Dogg, Angel Deradoorian, Thundercat, Niki Randa, alongside mindblowing original artwork by Japanese comic book artist Shintaro Kago.
“Ellison makes the boldest, most fully engaged fusion of the hip-hop-laptop era.” - Rolling Stone
“Flying Lotus Confronts Death” - The FADER Cover Story
“Distinctly modern brew of hip-hop, footwork, and fusion that's kinetic and vibrant.” - Pitchfork
“It doesn't take long to find Flying Lotus' heard. He puts it out there musically through his otherworldly blend of psych-jazz, EDM and hip-hop.” - Pitchfork
“...crisp, almost intoxicating production...” - XXL
“...an electronic opus of irreducible ambition and immersive detail.” - New York Times
“Ellison has demonstrated an uncanny ability to meld musical abstraction with hard percussion, veering from mellow to face-meltingly psychedelic in a heartbeat.” - The FADER