File Under: Creating and Maintaining Your Brand, Marketing Your Music, Managing Your Social Presences
Here’s how to receive instant notifications whenever your name is mentioned online -- such as on a blog, tweet, or website.
- Estimated Cost: Free.
- Estimated Time: 20 minutes preparation with immediate results.
1. Determine your keywords.
Define the keywords you want to track. Keywords can include:
- Your Name
- Your Band Name
- Your Website
- Album Titles
- Song Titles
- Other bands that sound similar to you (If they get covered, you can get covered)
2. Register and set up alerts at various search services.
You will need to create an account at the services listed below. If you already have an account, just login. Set up your alerts at all the following:
Follow each service's instructions. Depending on the service, you will get a choice as to coverage (we recommend choosing the broadest as possible), how frequently you want to be notified (we recommend as-they-happen rather than a digest so you can stay on top of mentions), and whether you want alerts to go to your mobile device.
You can also sign up at Mention which is a service that tracks all search and social mentions of keywords you tell them to track -- so you don’t have to sign up for all the above. You can sign up for a limited free version or you can pay the recurring fee to have it track everything.
3. Keep track of mentions for publicity purposes.
You will want to keep track and organize the best, most positive mentions for future publicity purposes and PR campaigns.
4. Contact them and establish a relationship.
If you get a positive mention such as a review or comment, consider doing the following:
- Contact the person and send a "thank you".
- Post a link to the mention on your site and blog to help cross-promote the person.
- Add the person to your press contacts for future publicity and PR campaigns since people who write about you are the ones most likely to write about you again in the future.
- Send the person some music or a sneak preview of your next release.
There is nothing to do after completing this -- just monitor your email to be alerted.
Challenge: This week create alerts for your artist/band name and your personal name, and watch your inbox for alerts about them. Add more
- 7 Techniques that Every Musician Should Use To Get PR
- 6 Things You Should Do After Getting Press/Blog Coverage
- The Indie Band Survival Guide (Remixed & Remastered: Second Edition)
- Making Money With Music (15-hour Online Course)
#marketing #publicity #persona #brand #socialpresences #challenge
Photo credit: Peter Huys