Tony Visconti’s Iconic 'Heroes' Effect Now Available
Today Eventide announced the release of an innovative, new reverb plug-in, Tverb, which was developed in collaboration with legendary producer, engineer and musician, Tony Visconti. A faithful recreation of Tony Visconti's three microphone technique used with David Bowie on "Heroes" at Hansa Studios, Berlin. Eventide takes this concept to the next level. With the Tverb plugin you can run your tracks through this legendary room with one close mic and two movable stereo room mics with control over the response characteristics of the room.
“One of the challenges was designing reverbs that captured the rich ambience of the Meistersaal and yet were efficient, ensuring that the plug-in would run native without burdening the DAW’s CPU”, commented Eventide’s Tony Agnello. “The reverbs were also designed to allow the two far microphones to be moved in real-time without introducing any audio artifacts. We admit that we’re having a bit fun with this cool feature.”
"I have plug-ins that emulate rooms but this concept, to have the set-up all on one page, I never thought it was possible” commented Tony Visconti, adding “The 3 microphones are correct, the room is correct, and now that it's in stereo, you're actually hearing something that I never got around to doing when I was in Berlin. It's just great. "
- Presets created by Tony Visconti and other artists
- 2 Moveable microphones to adjust reverb size and tone
- Adjustable polar patterns for microphone 1 to adjust the amount of ambient room tone
- Custom Eventide reverb algorithm with EQ, diffusion, and decay control
- Compressor module on microphone 1, just as Visconti had in the original session
- 2 Linkable post-reverb gate modules with control of when the gates close, the speed at which they close and the length of time they are forced to stay open
- Console (inspired by the one used in the session and with Visconti’s "grease pencil" labelling) provides post-reverb channel processing for each individual mic and the master
- Room mixer module alters the sound of the room itself with control over decay, diffusion and frequency attenuation
- Signal inversion buttons to remove (or create) phase cancellation
- Mix Lock allows for scrolling through presets or settings while keeping the wet/dry mix constant
- Complete automation support
Tverb is available for AU, VST and AAX for Mac and PC at a special introductory price of $149 until May 31st, 2016 (MSRP $249). It is also part of Eventide’s Ensemble subscription bundle which allows users to subscribe to every Eventide plug-in on a monthly or annual basis.
AU, VST and AAX for Mac and PC. No iLok dongle required.
For over 40 years, Eventide has remained at the forefront of recording technology. In 1975 they revolutionized the audio industry by creating the world’s first commercially available digital audio effects unit. Since then their legendary studio processors have been heard on countless hit records. Eventide and Harmonizer are registered trademarks of Eventide Inc. ® 2016 Eventide Inc.