X-Comp is a sophisticated and extremely versatile stereo compressor that cuts through the mass of freeware and bundled plug-ins available with genuinely professional features, results and interface. It delivers mastering grade audio fidelity with a distinctly analogue feel and can be used for everything from ‘invisible’ subtle dynamic control for mastering, to dramatic ‘brick wall’ effects that inject raw energy and power that competes with the legendary SSL Listen Mic Compressor. Between these two extremes X-Comp can reproduce the characteristics of a wide range of modern and classic vintage compressors. In X-Comp we haven’t just modeled a particular compressor, but have provided a set of features and controls that allow the emulation of a broad range of compressor designs.
The audio performance, specifications, analysis tools and depth of control offered by X-Comp are exemplary. It features a dual symmetrical knee design that provides precise control over the way the compression is applied around the threshold point and the way it backs off again at a Max Gain Ratio value. This can be used to allow the transients to breathe and preserves the life of the signal while still offering a great deal of dynamic control. Both the compressor audio path and side-chain signal can also be restricted to process only selected frequencies via a set of ‘Bleed Through’ controls. These alter the frequency dependant behavior of the compressor through the use of 1st order high and low pass filters, delivering user friendly Frequency Dependant Parallel Compression. This is great at focusing the compression on a certain frequency range, or allowing parts of the spectrum past the compressor. A superbly simple graphic user interface offers the facility to grab and move frequency cutoff points and the crossover characteristics can be adjusted to achieve a range of different tonal responses from the system.
The entire Graphic User Interface is designed to make using X-Comp incredibly intuitive regardless of personal preference for click and drag graphic manipulation (carefully selected control laws mean that setting the exact value of a parameter via a control knob is made easy and intuitive, as the critical ranges have been given the most resolution) mouse wheel or numeric parameter editing. Extensive visual feedback includes; an Amplitude Histogram display that shows an accurate image of the dynamics of incoming and outgoing audio, a Gain Reduction History display and Stereo Input & Output metering (with peak hold and separate RMS meters).
The plug-in is available in VST, AU and RTAS* formats making it compatible with virtually all audio software currently available on both PC and Mac. As with other Duende plug-ins, X-COMP is capable of operating at 44.1, 48, 88.2 and 96kHz sampling rates.
X-COMP comes equipped with a collection of presets that provide great starting points for any correction or sound shaping job that you may encounter.
Key features of the X-Comp plug-in include:
- Exceptional versatility; from mastering grade transparent compressor to incredible brick wall gain reduction
- Advanced graphic knee control with 0 to 40dB range and proportional response characteristic
- Dual symmetrical knee design allows detailed shaping of the compression characteristic
- Max Gain Reduction control sets the maximum reduction between 20 and 60dB
- Advanced side chain architecture using 1st order filters delivers user-friendly Frequency Dependant Parallel Compression
- Amplitude Histogram display provides advanced real time pre/post signal analysis
- Intuitive user interface with drag and move graphic, mouse wheel and numeric editing
- Stereo input and output metering with peak hold, separate RMS meter and dynamic range display
- A/B facility for instant comparison of two different Compression set ups
- MIDI control capability for all parameters
- Global soft latency free bypass Version 2.2 Duende software can be downloaded for free at www.solidstatelogic.com/music/X-EQ.html and includes a fully operational 10 hour trial version of X-Comp. X-comp is available only for the Duende platform and is sold exclusively through the Solid state Logic web site priced $499. + tax.
Based on the powerful DSP technology behind SSL’s acclaimed C-Series digital consoles, Duende is a sleek, 19” rack-mount unit that seamlessly integrates legendary console-grade SSL Channel EQ and Dynamics processing with a digital audio workstation. On-board DSP, connected to the DAW via Firewire, runs the SSL processing tool kit, relieving the burden on the host computer’s CPU. Duende allows for up to 32 channels of processing at sample rates up to 96khz. The EQ and Dynamics Channel provides a single plug-in slot EQ & Dynamics processing solution with all the power and processing flexibility of an SSL console channel.
Solid State Logic is the world’s leading manufacturer of analogue and digital audio consoles and provider of creative tools for music, broadcast and post production professionals. For more information about our award-winning products, please visit: www.solid-state-logic.com