Objective: Use a hardware MIDI control surface (M-Audio Oxygen8, Peavey PC-1600x, Kenton fader boxes, et al) to vary effects parameters in real time, and optionally record this as automation data.
Background: In Sonar Producer Edition’s console view, you can choose any four parameters from any automatable effect and control them simultaneously via on-screen sliders. However, you can also control these sliders via remote control devices that generate MIDI continuous controllers.
1. Click on the FX button (console view, lower left toolbar) until it glows blue. You’ll see the effects loaded in the effects bins, and four sliders will appear underneath the effects bins that contain effects.
2. Click on the effect you want to control.
3. If you want to reassign a slider’s function, right-click on it, choose Reassign Control, then choose the desired parameter (in this example, Compressor Threshold).
4. Right-click on the parameter’s slider, then choose Remote Control.
5. The Remote Control menu appears. Click on Controller.
6. Vary the hardware controller you want to use, then click on Learn. The Controller window will then show the hardware controller’s MIDI controller number. Click on OK . . . done! Moving the hardware controller will move the corresponding console slider.