OBJECTIVE: Bring out important track parameters for easy access, then control them with a control surface.
BACKGROUND: When recording, some track parameters are set-and-forget while others are ideal for tweaking. You can bring the parameters you want to tweak—whether mixer parameters, effects, send levels, etc.—to a centralized Quick Controls area in a track’s Inspector, as well as control these with an external MIDI hardware controller.
1. Click on Quick Controls in the track’s Inspector to reveal 8 slots.
2. Click in a Quick Control slot. A browser opens where you can assign a particular track parameter (including effects parameters) by double-clicking on it. Repeat until all desired parameters have been assigned.
3. Go Devices > Device Setup. In the Device Setup dialog box, click on Quick Controls.
4. Assign the control surface MIDI in and out.
5. Click on a Quick Control, click on Learn, then move a hardware control. This control is now tied to the first Quick Control slot. Repeat for the remaining Quick Controls, click on Apply, then click on OK.
· Step 1: Each track can have its own Quick Controls assignment; these are saved with the project, and can also be saved as Track Presets.
· Step 2: To remove an assignment, select “No Parameter” in this step.
· Hardware controller assignments for Quick Controls are global, not per-project.
· The R/W buttons to the Quick Control panel’s upper right let you read and write automation for Quick Controls.